June 1, 2017

Love by Connection

Every morning, I spend around 20-30 minutes walking my little beagle, Augie. It’s something that we both look forward to and enjoy each morning. Lately, there have been more and more people out and about in the early morning, likely because of the gorgeous weather we’ve had. We get stopped frequently so people can meet my little Augie. She’s a charmer and hard to resist! Almost every morning we meet someone new, which is nice and refreshing to meet those I live around. Usually people ask me what her age and name is, and then after a few minutes we go our separate ways. Today was different. Today we met a lady who got me thinking about one of our basic needs…and that’s our need for connection. Within less than 5 minutes I knew so much about her life. Here’s how the conversation started:

Ms. B: “Hi there, your dog is cute, can you walk mine?”
My first impression was that this was a strange request to a stranger.
Me: “uhhh, Hi.” (I didn’t know what to say lol).
Ms. B: “Just kidding, my neighbor offered to do it for me. I just feel so bad that I can’t walk my dog anymore. Can I meet your dog?”
Me: “sure…”

I walked Augie up to this lady who looked even smaller and frailer up close. She sat down and began lovin’ on Augie. As I was getting ready to pull Augie away and continue our walk, (I was running late for work), she said, “I hope you never get breast cancer. Look…one of my teeth just fell out this week. How can I face anyone?”
I was not prepared for this conversation, but it was clear that she was yearning to talk to someone about what she was going through. She explained to me that she was an attorney who had to quit practicing because she couldn’t do her job very well anymore due to chemotherapy. She was sad because she couldn’t walk her dog as much. She told me that she never could have imagined what going through breast cancer would’ve been like…and then it happened. Woman to woman, I felt her pain, yet couldn’t imagine her grief. More so, I could sense that she was lonely. I have no idea if she is/was married or had a close support network, but even when you do, pain shrinks your world.

I’ve never experienced cancer or any terminal illness, but the way I can relate to pain lately is through my pregnancy losses. I understand what it feels like to crave connection during difficult times. I know what it’s like to be ignored and not heard. I understand that it hurts when the world keeps moving as if nothing is wrong when you’re aching so much inside and no one knows it. Or worse, if others do know it, they ignore it. I was left wondering if that’s how she felt. Her feelings just started tumbling out as if she couldn’t stop them. That’s what happens when you long for connection.

I felt conflicted because I didn’t want to be rude, but I needed to be on my way. I quickly realized that there was no way that I could cut her off and keep walking. It just didn’t feel right. So, I stayed. She wanted our dogs to meet and she wanted to feed Augie treats (Augie didn’t complain). But I think what she really wanted was some of my time. I helped her up by holding onto her arm and waist and walked with her to the gate so our puppies could meet. I could feel her physical weakness and she praised my youthful strength. Unfortunately, Augie was not a fan of her dog, but the woman was thrilled with their interaction.
After talking for a while, she extended her hand and shook mine and asked me my name. She wished me a good day, and I said the same. I went on my way and thought about her the rest of my walk home. I immediately offered up thanks for my health, but also prayed that this lady I met would experience healing, both physically and emotionally. All I could think of was what a harrowing journey she’s traveling. I just hope that she’s not traveling it alone. It is hard to be open with the rawness of our struggles, but at some point, we just have to stop trying to bear it alone.
The current book I’m reading is called “Option B” written by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant-it’s so great. They discuss this need to be “okay” despite our struggles. They referenced the work of psychologist David Caruso when explaining this phenomenon. He explained, “all over the world, there is cultural pressure to conceal negative emotions.” And further, “there’s this relentless drive to mask the expression of our true underlying feelings. Admitting that you’re having a rough time is almost inappropriate.” We’ve all felt this right? I know I have.

I’ve heard repeatedly in personal relationships as well as from my clients that emotions and struggles are not to be shared. Where in the world did this lie come from?? Almost everyone who connected with me on pregnancy loss expressed that they wish they hadn’t kept it to themselves. Why you ask? Because it was unbearable. Pushing away pain does not banish it nor lessen it. Without care, it festers on our soul. And I believe that the only remedy is connection.
I chose to connect with someone today who desperately needed listened to. That’s the greatest gift we can give anyone. Listen, connect, and hear someone’s story. You never know who you’re going to meet or what fascinating story you’ll be missing if you choose to walk away. Next time you see someone struggling or if it seems like they want to talk, simply ask, “how are you today?” And then not let the answer “good” suffice. Ask even if you’re uncomfortable. And if you’re being asked, give them the real answer. There’s a difference between complaining and being honest about where you’re at. I’m working on being the question asker and giving honest answers when asked. There is no shame in that, only the possibility for connection.

So, my sweet friends: How are you today? Really though, how are you?
I’m here for you.

With love,
Keena  


No comments:

Post a Comment